PPG Fatalities

General Discussion area for Paramotoring.
Beery
Site Admin

PPG Fatalities

Post by Beery » Wed Jul 04, 2018 9:46 pm

Looks like we lost another pilot earlier this week. The PPG pilot was 80 year old Doit Koppler of New Milton, West Virginia. Looks like th epilot launched from his airtrip and during the climb out, had a motor out landing in trees.

When rescuers arrived, they found his equipment suspended in a tree 30 to 40 feet up. The pilot, Doit, was on the ground, deceased.

Photos looked like it was a PPG trke.

Detailed article at: http://wvmetronews.com/2018/07/03/witne ... tal-crash/

20180704Fatalities.xls
(131.5 KiB) Downloaded 124 times
DoitKoppler.jpg
DoitKoppler.jpg (29.11 KiB) Viewed 4007 times

Beery
Site Admin

Re: PPG Fatalities

Post by Beery » Fri Jul 06, 2018 9:52 pm

I found another article on the incident that had a slightly better photo. Turns out, rather than being a powered paraglide as the article described, it was a Powered Parachute.

Beery

Beery
Site Admin

Post by Beery » Thu Jul 12, 2018 3:20 pm

Just got word of another fatality in Poland with paramotoring. Pilot Jacek Sarna passed away from an incident that left him underwater in a lagoon for 15 minutes before rescuers were able to get to him.

No word on the cause that resulted in him ending up in the water, however it does appear to be open areas around the scene from the one video clip showing rescuers going out to him in an inflatable raft.

If you have not taken the time, read the article at http://www.uswingnuts.com/Files/Torch201007.pdf regarding an incident that fortunately had a good outcome after a pilot went down off the coast of Galveston years ago.

Do not ever expect bystanders at the water's edge to ever enter the water to save your behind. They just do not understand the hazards, and, they are not going to put their own life on the line either. Only fellow pilots "might" come to your aid. There have been numerous times I have seen pilots flying out over water that should they go down, if they were not able to extract themselves from the equipment and swim to shore, that was it for them. It would have been too high of risk due to distance from shore or moving water like a river.

Water flotation devices do save lives, however they are not a guarantee especially if you are unconscious and face down in the water.

Beery

Beery
Site Admin

Post by Beery » Fri Jul 20, 2018 2:41 pm

Unfortunately, I am updating the PPG Fatalities list again. I do not have the name of the UK pilot, only a description of the accident. Apparently the pilot was starting his motor when the motor lurched forward with the prop striking his head. The pilot passed away at the hospital.

This is the third PPG fatality relating to props striking the head THIS YEAR! The first incident this year, the pilot was completely decapitated. The second, he passed away at the field. This one, he made it to the hospital.

Starting the engine is a dangerous task. One should always preflight the throttle to make sure it is not stuck at full throttle because of a sticky cable or because cruise control is set. Strong and sufficient netting is very important to minimize (note, not eliminate) this incident from happening. Obviously, having a motor that you can start while it is on your back is preferred, not all engine choices this is an option.

Keep this in mind.

Should anyone know the name of the deceased UK pilot, please let me know so I can update his name.

Beery
Attachments
20180720Fatalities.xls
(131.5 KiB) Downloaded 105 times

Beery
Site Admin

Post by Beery » Thu Aug 09, 2018 2:24 pm

Unfortunately, another fatality notice to post. Westley Portwood was flying in mountainous "Big Air" in Idaho doing low altitude maneuvers chasing coyotes mid-afternoon. He was flying a FlatTop with the Dominator wing.
Attachments
20180809Fatalities.xls
(132 KiB) Downloaded 132 times

moumas0137

Post by moumas0137 » Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:42 pm

I'm sad for his family. But I wonder what the super dude will have to say about it and did he have super training?

Beery
Site Admin

Post by Beery » Fri Aug 10, 2018 1:22 am

He will probably claim it wasn't one of his students, the guy bought the equipment second hand, before he makes another run to Mexico to escape any immediate publicity.

This past weekend at a Fly-In, I saw a number of pilots launching in mid-day conditions in mountainous terrain. I never saw anyone take a collapse or have an issue, but I was anticipating an incident would happen.

Too many people are taking risks. The way it is going, this year will likely have the highest number of recorded known fatalities.

Beery

moumas0137

Post by moumas0137 » Fri Aug 10, 2018 2:53 am

It's easy to fly. It's hard to decide when not to fly.

Beery
Site Admin

Post by Beery » Fri Aug 10, 2018 8:36 pm

I agree. I've been in the air a few times asking myself why I even went up.

This past weekend, I opted to stay on the ground as I was a bit nervous of the conditions. Between mountainous terrain I was unfamiliar and lurking dark clouds, I figured I would rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air than in the air wishing I was on the ground.

Beery

moumas0137

Post by moumas0137 » Sun Aug 19, 2018 11:16 am