Unsafe flying

General Discussion area for Paramotoring.
Beery
Site Admin

Unsafe flying

Post by Beery » Fri Oct 05, 2018 6:31 pm

I know everyone has their own definition of what they consider to be safe and unsafe flying. Some believe they are safe flying over water if they have surface flotation. Others believe they are safe flying mid-day as long as they have a reserve. The list goes on.

Not long ago, I came across a pilot that told me where he lived, there were times he would be flying over wooded areas without LZ's for 20 minutes at a time. While he may have had some altitude, he pretty much conceded if he had a motor out, he was going into the woods. Very tall pine trees!!!

Stop and think about it for a minute. If you are flying over presumably an area that may have thousands of acres of pine trees and you go down, who is going to find you? Do you really think in such an area you are going to have cell phone coverage?

Likely, if you go in, your weight is going to break out the tops of some treetops, and you are going to descend some distance. That means you are unlikely to be seen by any plane or chopper that might go looking for you. How likely are they to even search the area in the first place?

Likely, your exit strategy if you have one, will be left up to you. Hopefully, you will not be like that other pilot earlier this summer that had a 3 to 4 inch limb all the way through their shoulder.

Is the risk worth the reward? Only you can decide that, but do stop to think for a moment that if you do end up stuck in the tree, do you want to die of dehydration or starvation?

Stop, and think about your actions. Then, stop and think about how your loved ones and family would deal with the situation searching for you. Then, stop and think about the search and recovery/rescue people that would be out searching for you. What if they get injured, or push the envelope? I know I personally have resisted putting myself at risk searching for missing people. I do not want to be a victim as well, but I have seen others putting themselves at risk.

Think. Think again. Then, think some more. Is the risk worth the reward?

Beery